WEEK 14: September 30, 2019

I knew I would want my hammock
Another week in the boonies of southern Brasil!  Wow this week went by really fast.  Started off with a district council in Lages (2 hours from here) and we had to take a bus that left at 1 in the morning on Monday, and arrive at 3, sleep the rest of the night in the apartment there, then have our meetings with the district the next day!  We arrived at 3:40ish after walking to the apartment in the middle of the night, and the tiny city apartment had a total of 12 elders in it, bodies everywhere and not much sleep unhappily haha.  The next day we got on a bus and returned to Vacaria and kept working... 6:30 felt really early this week...
My district

Home sweet home (We're on the bottom floor in the back.)
Sushi with my district
Anyway highlights from the work this week, we met a super awesome family this week that have I think the prettiest house I have ever seen, they are from France and have more than a little money.  The dad speaks English, Spanish, Portuguese, and French, and so he talks with me he speaks English, and he speaks Spanish with my companion, and french with his wife!  super crazy smart guy that has a lot of interest in The Book of Mormon!  (Mom: Andrew said he also raises silk worms.)
The house behind us is the multi-lingual French family's house

Anyway, another thing, one of our investigators, Paulo (who may or may not have tried to kill his boss last week, but missed) told us that if we went to church with him then he would come to church with us the next week... this may have been a mistake! But at 8 o'clock last night we arrived at “The Jesus is our Friend” church, I was welcomed by a pastor playing the electric guitar singing about the atonement, accompanied by his 10 year old son playing the drums, other events at “church” included a butterfly net for offerings, lots of screaming “Gloria” into the microphone, and a pastor who looked a little like Hagrid.  Interesting experience to say the least.

Other things from this week, i'm getting good at cutting my own hair and the hair of my companions (well i can't see the back of my own head so who knows haha)  Still eating way too much red meat... Below is a picture of a Brazilian BBQ (churrasco)  that we build with the help of the bishop to cook the cow that he told us he killed with his bare hands.  Life is good and full of adventures.
Churrasco


At the Bishop's house, helping him on Pday

-Elder Hammond

From our conversation:

  • Andrew saw “the cutest puppy ever” there.  It was a pit bull puppy.  I guess all puppies are cute.
  • One of Andrew’s high school friends, Erika Downs, just got called to the Brazil Goiania Mission leaving January 22nd! 
  • He made chicken stir-fry from the cookbook I made for him!!  He said it was a good break from all the steak
  • He claims he’s grown an inch and gained about 15 pounds, but actually doesn’t look any different to me.
  • He is loving the weather down there right now.
  • He bought an electric hair clipper for $25 so he can have free haircuts for the rest of his mission.  His haircut is pretty..uh...short though. I assume he and his companion will get better at cutting each other’s hair.



Comments

Popular Posts